Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What Your Mother Doesn't Know...

Saturday, I had a mother of the bride pick up some alterations a week after her daughter's wedding.  I had worked with the family through the pre-wedding period, altering several suits, bridesmaid dresses, mother of the bride dress, and the wedding gown.  

She excitedly showed me pictures of the big weekend, including pictures from the mani/pedi party the night before the wedding.  One picture she showed me me was of her daughter, the bride, pulling out a bottle of sparkling cider with a label on in proclaiming "Baby V due in August!" 

The mother of the bride said she almost dropped her phone.  Her daughter's pregnancy was a complete (and happy!) suprise for her. 

Not for me.  The now Mrs. V had shared that with me in her first fitting about 7 weeks ago, just 2 days after she had found out she was expecting.  Ironically, this is not the first time someone has confided this secret to me.  It is one of the best perks of the job, and a perk that comes my way often.  I have quite a well known knack for maternity alterations.

There is something really special about knowing a happy secret about a stranger, and it is doubly wonderful hearing the happiness from both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment